After a neighbor complained that she could only find “five or six” organic foods in Washington Heights or Inwood, I started collecting data that shows otherwise. In fact, the selection of organic, local and natural items available in northern Manhattan has increased significantly just in the four months since started compiling this directory. Now, healthy and organic options continue to expand — throughout our diverse community. Please contribute to my list, below.
Update May 12, 2016: In addition to the stores on the list below, nearly every corner store or bodega in the area now has some organic items, and many have fresh fruits for sale.
Organic food and natural products in Washington Heights and Inwood
Fresh carrots and radishes by Hawthorne Valley Farm.
Hawthorne Valley Farms sells organics at Inwood Greenmarket.
Organic canned goods.
Organic goods at Frank's Market.
C-Town has a growing organic produce section.
Organic beverages at Antillana.
Shelves Filled With Organics At Fine Fare.
Fine Fare recently expanded organic produce.
Inwood Greenmarket In Summer.
Natural Household Products At Dichter Pharmacy.
Purple Cauliflower At Inwood Greenmarket.
Organic Pasta Sauces At Pathmark.
Organic Dairy Products At Pathmark.
C-Town Has Signs That Guide To Healthier Choices.
Organic Grains At Pathmark
Frozen Organics At Pathmark.
While much of the growth is spurred by customer requests, City Harvest’s Healthy Neighborhood Program works with corner stores and supermarkets in Washington Heights and Inwood to increase the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables. City Harvest aims to expand to more stores this year.
- C-Town 4918 Broadway sells a growing variety of organic fresh vegetables and fruits, Bob’s Red Mill grain products, household products by Seventh Generation, Mrs. Meyers, and others, and meats and poultry raised without antibiotics, including some organic meats (check the freezer case.) Carries large selection of organic spices and packaged foods, including multiple brands of organic beans and other staples. Very good about ordering items on request.
- Bravo 4261 Broadway carries organic dairy products, frozen vegetables and some organic produce.
- Food Universe (formerly Associated) 5069 Broadway has a selection of organic produce and multiple brands of dairy, natural and antibiotic-free meats, and environmentally sensitive household products. Has organic baby food, spices and both canned and frozen foods, and organic grains. Major brands carried include: Amy’s, Kashi, Bob’s Red Mill, Cascadian Farms, Stonyfield Farms, Spice Hunter.
- Associated 592 Fort Washington Ave., has multiple brands of organic dairy products, some organic produce, and natural household items. Store is scheduled for renovation and upgrade in 2016.
- Frank’s Market 807 W. 187th St., has an extensive selection of organic produce, canned and other packaged food items, organic meats and poultry, frozen foods, and dairy. Wide selection of organic groceries, including Bob’s Red Mill and other brands of grains and baking products.
- Jin’s Superette, 804 W. 181st St., has organic produce, dairy, frozen foods and canned goods, plus an array of organic snacks.
- Dichter Pharmacy, 4953 Broadway, , has variety of organic and natural health and beauty products and some household items, including cleaning products. Very good about ordering items on request. Also sells Ronnybrook dairy products, including milk and ice cream.
- All About Green, Sherman Ave between 10th Ave. and Isham St., has hundreds of organic and natural cleaning and household products, primarily in large sizes for commercial use. Store hours seem somewhat unpredictable.
- Saturdays: Most of the products sold at the Inwood Greenmarket are raised naturally and some are certified organic. All are local. See http://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/manhattan/inwood for details and a list of the vendors. Hawthorne Valley Farm is a year-round vendor of vegetables, fruit, cheese, yogurt, pastries and sauerkraut that is certified organic. Bread Alone sells organic breads and pastries.
- Tuesdays: Fort Washington Greenmarket on Fort Washington Ave., at 168th Street (Columbia University Medical Center) has several organic vendors. See http://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/manhattan/fort-washington. (Market closed during winter months.)
- Thursdays: The 175th Street Greenmarket has natural products and farmers selling specialty produce of Mexican and other Latino origins, all from local growers. See http://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/manhattan/175th-street
- Park Terrace Deli, 510 W. 218th St., has more than 200 organic products, including frozen vegetables and prepared foods, canned groceries, snacks, multiple brands of organic dairy and beverages, and a limited selection of organic fresh fruits.
- Fine Fare, 4776 Broadway near Dyckman, has over 300 organic grocery items, including spices, grains, cereals, multiple brands of organic dairy, and produce. No organic meats or chicken.
The following stores (supermarkets and “corner stores” or bodegas) participate in City Harvest’s Healthy Neighborhood Program to increase produce availability and offer healthy shopping tours and in-store cooking demonstrations:
- Bravo supermarkets at 1331 St. Nicholas Ave., 4138 Broadway, and 4261 Broadway.
- C-Town, 1016 St. Nicholas Ave.
- C-Town, 4918 Broadway
- La Mina Supermarket, 553 W. 157th St.
- 119 AR Grocery Corp., 119 Ellwood St.
- 128 P&L Grocery Corp., 128 Audubon Ave.
- Bello Deli Food, 5009 Broadway.
- Diaz Deli Grocery, 2143 Amsterdam Ave.
- Frutera El Buen Camino, 3888 Broadway.
- M.D.K. Grocery Corp., 100 Audubon Ave.
- My Deli Grocery, 670 W. Academy St.
- My Sweet Deli, 187 Sherman Ave.
- Red Apple Deli Market Corp., 134 Hamilton Pl.
- The New Generation, 242 Sherman Ave.